Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Something Interesting

I tried something new for breakfast this morning...it was interesting in a good way...more on that later.

 I did indeed make black bean soup yesterday from this recipe. I have to say that it was by far one of the easiest soups I have ever made.  This is what it looked like in the pot after I had pureed about half of it in the food processor.

I was skeptical...until I tasted it. It tasted wonderful! A little smokey from the chili powder and the cumin, a little bite from the salsa and just really satisfying. 
The recipe said that it made four 1 1/4 cup servings and I was really happy when I portioned it out that it actually did.  I have 3 bowls in the freezer and one in the fridge for lunch/dinner today.  I will definitely make this often. At 191 calories...I'd say that it would be a good safe food option.

I also decided that I would make some brown rice. I really like rice and beans and thought it would be good with the soup. Even at 216 calories a cup for the rice it still not a bad calorie count at 407 calories roughly.

I cooked 2 cups of brown rice which got me approximately 6 cups of cooked brown rice. I portioned it out this morning and put 4 in the freezer for use later with the soup or for breakfast...Which brings us to something interesting...I found the recipe for the Massa Brown Rice Bowl.  As I am a huge fan of
Asian/ Oriental flavors and food profiles...I was game.  There are mushrooms, shredded carrot, ginger, garlic, frozen peas, eggs and my *cough* additions, sarachi and bacon.  It was incredible!!!


I have to say that I have never had a breakfast/lunch item that was as satisfying as this was...I was comfortably full but not OMG stuffed...the eggs, while I overcooked them, had the silkiest texture that I have ever had in my life. I will drop the cooking time on the eggs by about 1/3 to 1/2 next time I make this. One of the big things...it was satisfying...it didn't leave me wanting...something. I will happily eat this many more times. I will be trying other veggies in it and while I did add bacon, not in the original, it was still just 582 calories according to my nutrition tracker at sparkpeople.com. To me, for an complete meal, I don't think that's too bad. Even on 1550 a day I still have around 800-900 calories for the day...AWESOME!!!

I have to admit that I did have one problem with the dish...Making the decision that I was worth cooking something for. So many times I have not cooked something just for me because I didn't feel like I deserved it. Today, I decided that I am worth cooking good, healthy food for. I think that is a lot of the problems that some people have with weight lose.  I know it is for me. The ongoing dialog in my head about "never enough, never good enough". To not feel like I deserve anything special or just for me. 

Today...I decided that I matter...I decided to, this one time, take care of me...hopefully more will follow.

Gotta go and try to make friends with the bow flex...*shudder*...TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment