Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Longing For The Past



At least that is what this quiz says.

I find that lately I have a longing...a desire for things of the past...

I want to put in a garden...to feel the warm soil on my hands...to smell the loamy smell of rich fertile soil...to raise food to put by for my family and maybe to gift the neighbors...

I want to make jams and jellies and to can...to sit down after cleaning the kitchen in the evening to knit and hear the "pop" of the jars sealing...to wipe the jars, tighten the lids and see the beautiful things that I have done for my family's comfort and well being...I feel this need deep in my soul...Like the call of sirens from days gone by...

I want to make bread and rich, thick stews from the bounty I have put by...to smell the bread baking and the stew cooking and know...I did this...to care for my loved ones...to nourish their bodies as doing it nourishes my soul...

I want to have chickens for fresh eggs and to see them scratching in the yard...to have a hen sit eggs and roosters for frying...

I want to card wool for spinning...

I want to spin wool into yarn for knitting warm things for my family's comfort...

I want to spin wool for wharp and wheft to weave cloth to make blankets and rugs to warm my family's beds and feet...

I want to make quilts to decorate my home and cover my family from the winters cold...

Somehow...somewhere...deep in my very soul...I miss these things.  I miss them as if I had just done all of these things just yesterday...I need to do these things as surely as I need to eat and breath...

I feel these things missing from my being...The need to reconnect with the old ways...to simpler times...

I feel the need to simplify...to have better quality and less quantity...

I...am...restless...

Time to tend the dragons...

No comments:

Post a Comment