Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Off The Deep End

Still out of work, but I do have a job interview on Friday, so if there is anyone out there reading...please wish me luck and send some good mojo my way!

As days go by and life gets crazier and crazier, I struggle for control. Why is it when I need to get control that I feel the need to work on very complicated items? I don't know...

Enter...

 Off The Deep End aka Frost Flowers Stole. It is from 2008 Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts and is by Charlene Schurch. The reason I called it "Off The Deep End"? It has a cast on of 992 stitches...yes...992 stitches. My friend N, she says I'm insane and that I have gone off the deep end. I thought it was appropriate.

In other knits, we had a very nice young couple join our Wednesday group and she had knit him Sack Boy.  Sack Boy was her very first knit for her husband, who knits, and she had trouble with the pattern.  Another of our knitters helped her and occasionally asked for my opinion on the pattern. In the end she made a wonderful Sack Boy! He is adorable.

Well, I got to looking at the pattern as daughter R's partner went nuts about the possibility of there being a Sack Boy out there. He's a good boy, he appreciates hand crafts! So long story short, since R was going to attempt to knit the pattern I decided to see how hard the pattern was. So on Friday I cast on for the body and away we went...

May I introduce...


Haggis, my version of SB's Scottish cousin!  I intend to get some embroidery floss or pearl cotton and chart a tartan and knit him a kilt.  My family has a tartan, as does a few of my friends families.  As soon as I can find a good source for pearl cotton in many colors I will post a picture of the chart and the tartan in progress.  I made some definite changes to the pattern and I may write up the changes, but I'm not sure yet.

Haggis was a hit though! I started him on Friday morning and sewed and stuffed him on Saturday evening. He was a quick knit and not too complicated.

I'm still plugging away on "Coming Home" as we have about 5 weeks or so before J comes home. I am currently on row 126 of 159 so not too far. I have used about 700 yards of lace weight so far and looks like I will have to attach another ball to finish. I will post another pic as soon as I get done. Right now...it looks like a giant deflated jellyfish.

Oh!!! I am also in the process of getting my sewing room set up. We have a spare room and while we were going to tear down the walls it hasn't been used for much. D's father is getting older and we have decided to leave the walls up just in case we need to make it into a quick bedroom should he come to stay with us sometime in the future. So...until then...I have a sewing room!!!! As soon as I get it set up I will post a couple of pictures!

Gotta tend the dragons....




1 comment: